Tuesday, September 27, 2011

BC: Talents

         Through my adolescence I looked around and remember becoming confused but most of all astounded by the diversity of everything and everyone. I was amazed on how a person could speak a different language, be of a different culture or religion in the area that I lived in. How was it possible to have that much diversity in just a portion of an area? This question was something that stuck with me for awhile. This was the question that fueled my passion for linguistics.
          Most people in the United States are monolingual and can only speak one language, English. Most people do not even consider trying to learn to speak another language because they are happily satisfied with just being able to speak English. Being confined to one language is a barrier for our attempt to understand the rest of the world. Being able to speak several languages opens up a person’s mind, and allows them to experience different cultures and people’s way of being. In doing this, people will be able to interact much easier with each other. I think that having the ability to speak several languages is a quality that more people should try to possess.
        A polyglot is someone who uses or speaks in many languages. A personal accomplishment I have is my ability to speak and write in multiple languages. The first language I learned was Spanish. I was taught how to speak English by my stepfather at the age of two. I have studied French in school for about four years. I can speak, read and write in Spanish and French. I am learning Russian from a family member and trying to learn some Arabic phrases from a friend I just met at school. I can say several things in Russian, but I still have to try and learn my alphabet. I was even taught how to count to ten in German by a foreign exchange student my junior year.
         I am proud of this accomplishment because it’s something that many people cannot do. Being able to understand multiple languages is not something that comes easy or without effort. It takes dedication and most of all hard work. I have made several hundred flashcards for French and have learned much through repetition. 
This talent exhibits my consideration and curiosity. I have always been a person who has been considerate or thoughtful of other people’s feelings. I have always been curious about different religion, languages, culture and anything else that falls in this category. Being able to speak various languages allows me to explore and understand people’s differences. My ability to speak several languages gives me the opportunity to expand my knowledge of others.
       I am proud to call myself bilingual. The reason I do not consider myself trilingual is because four years of French education does not make me fluent in French. I hope to continue my French education, so that one day I can call myself trilingual one day. I also hope to continue to learn as many other languages I can to be able to further my knowledge. 

1 comment:

  1. Way to get this done early, first of all! :)

    So first of all I see plenty of cuts to make...but that may be too nit-picky of a comment to make until we look at some larger balance issues.

    I find that the points you make about the russion, german, and arabic stuff you've learned don't necessarily help your essay that much...I am more interested in hearing about the hard-core, long-term studies you've done.

    Also, you write in somewhat abstract terms about the intellectual benefits of knowing more than one language...and of course you're right about that. But it would be good to hear a story about a time when you really had an "a-ha moment" or some memorable breakthrough in your communication with folks different from yourself. Your first college essay has at least one or more of those types of vivid moments, but this one so far is a bit dryer. We need to hear some story that really illustrates your passion for language and brings this side of you to life a little more! Can you think of such a story?

    ReplyDelete