Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BC: Dreams and Desires


            I have accompanied my grandmother to the hospital several times throughout the years.
I remember seeing the nice ladies in various different colored uniforms. I felt so happy knowing that one person could help my grandmother. This would be one factor that gravitatated me towards the medical field. I wanted to be a nurse to help someone else’s grandmother. I wanted to make them feel assured and relieved like the nurses made me feel after they attended my grandmother.
            I became interested in helping others through the way I was raised. I was raised by my stepfather since the age of one. He taught me everything I know from riding a bike, my first math problem and even how to speak English. Besides all this, he taught me how to be a person of compassion, considerations and hard-work. His character influenced my desire to pursue the medical field. I recall going to San Francisco one weekend on a family outing and witnessing a horrible accident. There was scattered wreckage all over the freeway. My stepfather pulled over concerned that the victims of the crash were injured. I remember sitting in the backseat watching him through the window as he assisted the victims. He knew exactly what to do to help. Since he was a paramedic at the time he helped give aid to the people until the paramedics arrived. While others watched, he helped. I felt so proud to know that was my dad, helping the people in need. I can’t even recollect how many times he has done this. He has inspired me to be just like him, a compassionate, caring person.
           That is why I would like to be a cardiac surgeon. I chose the cardiac surgery over neurosurgery or thoracic surgery because it’s what interests me the most. I was a sophomore at Bishop O’Dowd High School when I realized I wanted to pursue cardiac surgery. I was in biology class when I was taught about the heart and its functions. I remember r completely hating the topic because I was completely lost in the lesson. It wasn’t until I got home and studied the pictures and notes that I realized that it was not that bad. In fact I grew to like it, a lot.
         Throughout the years my vision changed. Although I still want to pursue the medical field, I decided I wanted to do more than just care for the patient, but rather physically cure the ill patient myself. There are many things that have shaped my goals and desires. The most significant are my family, career people and experiences. All these factors have shaped me to be the person I am today. I want to be the person that people come to for help. I want to have the ability to restore peace and tranquility in the lives of families who are struggling with their health. I want to have a career that will make me proud of what I do every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment